Thursday, March 19, 2009

BIG BIG dream!

soon, in another few weeks, my student life will come to an end. I will be moving on to the next phase of my life - working life, where i slog it out in the corporate world. i don't know if im really looking forward to it. but guess since i always like changes n improvement in my life, the working life can be really exciting if i seize all opportunities that come my way.

i was talking to my junior a few night ago. we talked abt work n potential companies that we would like to work in. suddenly i had a better/clearer idea of what i want to achieve in the next 24 years. (yes, if you go n calculate, i wan to retire when i am 48-50 years old). it was only then that i realised i really have an obsession with word 'largest'. Below was what i told my fren:

" I will start my career in Keppel Offshore & Marine, the world's largest rig builder. subsequently, i wan to work in GE Capital, which is the world's largest non-bank financial company (at least that's what i read on a bloomberg article). Next up, not in any order, i wan to work for

- Exxon Mobile: the world's largest oil n gas company
- Toyota: should be the world largest car company now, given the BIG 3 of USA are dying (though personally, i prefer BMW cars. haha)
- Coca-cola: owner of 4 of the world's top 5 nonalcoholic sparkling beverage brands
- Blackstone: the world leader in private equity investing
- Proctor & Gamble: should be among the world's largest consumer goods company"

so that's 7 industries in abt 24 years. Given the varied experience i have, I would love to end my career in GIC, to help grow our nation's wealth/reserves because i think it's a bit wrong if i help other sovereign wealth fund to grow their reserves n not my own country's reserve.

on top of this, i would like to spend some time in Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Li Ka Shing Foundation. this will allow me to witness how 2 of the largest foundations in the world operate in two different regions: Asia and America. Ultimately, i wan to set up my own non-profit organisation (i have not decided on the focus of my NPO, cos i have not seen enough of this world yet). if i happened to be rich enough, I would definitely love to have my own foundation to carry on my dream even when i m not around anymore.

okie, i know this blog is v crazy, sounds impossible and that I am day dreaming. haha. it's because im too lazy to study for my quizzes, so i decide to dream abit to motivate myself. haha. maybe a few years down the road, when i read this blog again, i will be reminded of this BIG BIG BIG dream that i have.

okie, back to reality

3 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Dream the dreams you can, and aim as high as possible. Noone should ever tell you your dream is wrong, for the dream is yours and yours alone to accomplish. All the best man.

5:37 PM  
Blogger yang said...

wah luke. so touched. thought no one read my blog liao since i have not updated for so long. haha. thanks for the encouragement! will definitely continue to dream BIG!

1:22 AM  
Blogger Edgar said...

We do check out your blog once in a while dude. Nice dreams and plans you've got here, don't lose sight of the present though.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home