Thursday, January 01, 2009

year 2008 review

this could be a very long blog.

it has being so long since i blog. 2 reasons: i am really quite busy for since the start of my internship in jun. i also lost a bit of desire to blog. haha

BUT I decided to make a comeback! cos i wan to put down my thoughts for year 2008 and i prefer to type it out rather than write it down using pen.

learnt a few important lessons this yr which made me think a lot about what i really want in life, what am i really going after in life?

yr 2008 marks my first encounter with business cases and i fall in love with business cases cos it was really the most challenging thing in my uni life. business cases opened up a lot of opportunities: like presenting to a director from pwc advisory, joining Business Solutions club (thus meeting more like-minded people, esp malcolm wong), representing nbs in business case competitions, getting to know frens from other countries. most importantly, business cases allowed me to have a better idea of the kind of career that will interest me.

went back to kom for internship cos i couldn't get approval to go hsbc. so i tried to make do with what i had and i requested to do a few wks of internship at both corporate development deapartment and finance. finance really bored me. i am dying to get out of that department cos i dun plan to do accounting for the rest of my life. i repeated this a lot of time: accounting is just a good knowledge to have in the business world. i wan to do strategy, or work that are more analytical based. my request to make a permanent switch to corporate development department was turned down.

perhaps all these are not really that important. the most painful lesson for 2008: spend more time with ur loved ones (be it family or frens). don't use work etc as an excuse. it's v painful when u decided to spend time with someone but that person is no longer living in this world.

during the wk of my business case competition, my taekwondo coach of 7 yrs passed away on the 3rd day of my competition. i had plans to visit my grandma immediately after my competition ended on a fri. but it was too late, my grandma passed away on the very last day of my competition. the kind of sadness can't be described. i hate myself for using trainings and work as an excuse not to visit my grandma every wk. i thought i can make it up to her after my competition. i lost that chance forever.

it made me wondered what do i really want? achievements, money, proving myself or simply to lead a normal life if that allows me to spend time with my loved ones.

do u know what u really want? i used to think i know what i want. yr 2008 made me think otherwise. yr 2008 made me think harder, in a painful way

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home